Apples. Cheese. Heat. Yes.
- Meat: 1 (4-ounce) link sweet Italian sausage
- Oils/Spices: 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground red pepper, 3/4 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp dried rubbed sage
- Produce: 4 large Rome apples, 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion , 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot, 3 garlic cloves, 1/3 cup dried cranberries, 3 Tbsp minced green onions
- Dairy: 1 1/2 Tbsp butter, 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Grains/Nuts: 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Other: 2/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth, 1/3 cup apple cider, pastry brush, large skillet, small skillet, baking sheet, broiler, broiling pan
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Core the apples.
- Using a small spoon, carefully scoop out centers of apples, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell.
- Chop the scooped out apple flesh.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter.
- Use pastry brush to paint the inside of apples with melted butter.
- Place apples on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until just tender.
- Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan.
- Stir rice into broth.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine cranberries and cider in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave for 1 min and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add cranberry mixture to rice.
- Remove casings from sausage.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat and add sausage.
- Sauté 5 mins, stirring to crumble.
- Remove from pan; drain.
- Finely chop the yellow onion and carrot.
- Mince the garlic cloves and green onion.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat and melt 1/2 Tbsp butter in it.
- Add chopped apple, yellow onion, carrot, cinnamon and red pepper.
- Sauté 4 mins then add garlic and sauté for 1 more min, stirring constantly.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Toast the walnuts.
- Combine sausage, rice mixture, onion mixture, walnuts, green onion, salt, and sage.
- Put the baked apples on a broiling pan.
- Scoop the delectable rice mixture into the apples, dividing it evenly among them so nobody feels sad.
- Top stuffed apples with cheese.
- Broil for 5 minutes or until golden.
Original recipe found on: Cooking Light
3/4 tsp kosher salt