- Oils/Spices: 1/4 tsp dry mustard, dash salt and pepper
- Baking: 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs, 1 tbsp AP flour
- Dairy: 4 tbsp butter, 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Produce: 1 small onion
- Other: 8 oz macaroni, casserole dish (about 2 quarts)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mince the onion.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter.
- Grease the casserole dish.
- Place the bread crumbs into a small bowl and mix well with the melted butter; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain, then place into prepared casserole dish.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the minced onion and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent (about 5 mins).
- Stir in the flour, pepper, salt, and dry mustard until combined thoroughly.
- Pour in the milk and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer, stirring constantly until the milk has thickened (about 10 mins).
- Remove milk from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni, then sprinkle evenly with buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake until the top is golden and bubbly (about 20 mins).
Original recipe found on Sadler’s Smokehouse